Learn to make your own beautiful blue and white prints using shadows, the sun and water with this simple DIY craft kit
This kit provides the basic materials needed to produce cyanotype prints - simply expose the light sensitive paper to the UV rays of the sun, then rinse in water.
How does it work? The light sensitive paper in the kit was created by painting a heavy weight paper with a cyanotype emulsion liquid. When exposed to the UV light of the sun, a chemical reaction occurs and the paper changes colour. Prints are made by placing items over the paper to block out the light, or create shadows. When the paper is washed (developed), the blocked out areas become white, and the areas exposed to light become a deep blue.
- Light sensitive cyanotype paper (choose size & how many), in a beautiful lightly textured 200gsm weight. Each piece will have a white border of about 1cm.
- A test strip of paper
- A rigid boxboard backing to rest your paper on.
- Clear plastic sheet to cover everything
- Full and simple instructions
- 2-4 fold-over clips or pegs
- Things to make your prints with; botanical specimens are most popular, but you can also use film or x-ray negatives, printed transparencies, paper cut-outs or stencils, small household objects, or anything which casts a shadow - the options are only limited by your creativity.
- Water for washing your print
Helpful things to have:
- A small sheet of glass - this works as a better alternative to the clear plastic sheet, and you can still use the clear plastic sheet underneath to arrange more complex designs. A good source of glass is an old picture frame, just make sure it is clean & bigger than the light sensitive paper. You may already have one at home, but if not, thrift stores or op-shops are a great place to find one.
Paper is available in two sizes (or a mix of both )- choose your sizes and quantities from the drop down menu:
- A6 Size - (10.5 x 14.8 cm ~ 4x6 inches) - this is roughly the size of a postcard
- A5 Size - (14.8 x 21 cm ~ 8x6 inches) - this is about half as big as a standard sheet of printer paper (A4 or letter size).
- Even Mix - includes an even mix of both A5 & A6 Sizes (ie, an 8 sheet pack will have 4 of A5 size and 4 of A6 size)
Both sizes can be framed, though may require a little trimming at the edges to fit standard store bought frames.